Investments include more than 1,400 new Xfinity outdoor Wi-Fi hotspots, live in-home streaming and up to $15 million for business network expansion
St. Paul, Minn. – May 26, 2016 — Comcast customers in the Twin Cities will benefit from an unprecedented level of investments and innovations by the company in both residential and business services. The company today announced it will expand its Twin Cities infrastructure, deliver new products and services, and bring customers an even greater level of reliability and choice. Today’s announcements build on Comcast’s ongoing investments in its local metro area operations, now totaling more than $1 billion over the past several years.
“Our customers expect and deserve innovative, dependable products coupled with a great customer experience—and we’re working hard to deliver that,” said Jeff Freyer, Regional Vice President, Comcast Twin Cities. “With the infrastructure and technology investments we are announcing today, our customers can be confident they are receiving the fastest, most reliable products in the market.”
Customers will benefit from:
- Enhancements to the industry-leading X1 platform, including an advanced Olympic experience.
- More than 1,400 additional metro-wide Xfinity public outdoor Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Improvements made to the customer experience, which includes new streamlined tools and processes, and hundreds of jobs being added to the Twin Cities.
- A $15 million investment by Twin Cities Comcast Business that will provide greater choice for businesses of all sizes.
New Xfinity Residential Product and Technology Enhancements
X1 Live Streaming and Cloud DVR:
Comcast’s revolutionary X1 video platform has changed the way consumers watch TV. Live in-home streaming is now available to Twin Cities’ customers. This new capability gives customers access to their entire video lineup and Xfinity On Demand content on any connected device in their homes. And, later this year, Comcast will introduce the next generation of the X1 experience with the launch of Cloud DVR. This means customers will have the ability to stream or download their recordings to view anytime, anywhere, on any device.
Xfinity On Campus:
Comcast has launched Xfinity On Campus in the Twin Cities, which is a service that lets college students watch live TV and On Demand content on their IP-enabled devices, including laptops, tablets and smartphones while on campus. The service, which is included with room and board for students living in on-campus housing, is already available at dozens of college campuses across the country.
Comcast NBCUniversal will deliver the most comprehensive and technologically advanced Olympics broadcast in history. For the first time ever, Comcast’s industry-leading X1 platform will combine live television, online streaming and on-demand content, athlete profiles, up-to-the minute stats, and a personalized viewer experience in one integrated NBC Olympics dashboard. All searchable, at any time.
Comcast is expanding its Wi-Fi presence across the Twin Cities metro area with the addition of more than 1,400 public outdoor Wi-Fi hotspots. These Xfinity hotspots will be installed in high-traffic locations such as public parks and recreation areas, retail locations and transit stops. Xfinity Wi-Fi will be available for unlimited use by Comcast customers, giving them the ability to take their Xfinity Internet experience with them. Non-customers will have the ability to use the service as well on a free- and fee-based scale. All locations are planned to be completed by the end of 2016.
Customer Experience Improvements
“We have listened to what our customers are saying. We know we have work to do to improve the customer experience and we’re on a mission to do it,” said Freyer.
Comcast is rolling out several new improvements to better serve customers in the Twin Cities, including:
- Simpler billing statements—A new billing statement design means customers can better understand what they’re paying for and why.
Better tools and apps—Customers who prefer to do everything online are now able to manage all aspects of their account from computers, tablets or smartphones. This can be done through the My Account app, a one-stop, self-service platform.
- Being on-time for every tech appointment—Comcast is working toward a goal of 100% on-time arrival, but if we’re late, customers will receive $20 off their next bill, no questions asked. In addition, a new technology called Tech ETA will be available this year that will let customers know when their technician is 30 minutes away and includes the ability to monitor their progress.
- Fixing it right the first time— Comcast is improving the reliability of our network, eliminating or changing processes and policies that no longer make sense and giving employees simpler tools and the power to fix customer issues the first time, minimizing call transfers.
- Hiring to help our customers quickly on the phone and online—Comcast is hiring 5,500 U.S. based customer service employees, including 400 in the Twin Cities—reducing the number of contractors and agents working outside the U.S.
Comcast Business Investments
Last year, Twin Cities Comcast Business invested more than $3.2 million in expanding its fiber-optic network to serve additional business customers in many parts of the Twin Cities. In the next two years, Comcast Business will accelerate that commitment with plans to invest up to $15 million in network expansions. From Eden Prairie to Oakdale, from Brooklyn Park to downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul and beyond, businesses of all sizes will have a variety of new competitive options for business internet, video, voice and more. Projects planned for completion in 2016 include:
- Bloomington:7900 International Drive; West Bloomington; 35W & Lyndale
- Minneapolis: Downtown Minneapolis; Nicollet Mall expansion and renovation project
- Brooklyn Park: Winnetka Ave. & Wyoming Ave.
- Blaine: Anoka County Airport
- Eden Prairie: Flying Cloud Airport; Technology Drive
About Comcast Cable:
Comcast Cable is one of the nation’s largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. Comcast has invested in technology to build an advanced network that delivers among the fastest broadband speeds, and brings customers personalized video, communications and home management offerings. Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.